Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2020

And the People Stayed Home

The world has exploded and everything is upside down... I have never lived through something so surreal or globally impacting this scale other than 9/11.  While that had more shock and awe which subsided, there doesn't seem to be a known end to this scenario.... a lot of uncertainty.

As I have been dealing with my own mental and emotional stress of work, family, preparedness.  I have been practicing thinking in a more positive way.  It takes a minute, but it works -- at least right now it is.

I have been trying to see any silver lining of this pandemic.   I wonder..... are there fewer wars, less fighting, less crime, and maybe even less sickness now than ever despite the cause of our global hibernation being a virus?  Is it possible that some good can come from the whole world at being at home, at the same time? If trying to figure out how to cope with cabin fever seclusion and togetherness is one of the new challenges, well.... is that necessarily a bad thing?  Hard for some I am sure... but wonderful too at the same time.

While I find the current situation to be surreal in many ways, I cannot help but reflect on many things as I find myself with more time working from home and trying to be a good steward of social distancing -- the two most important words in the whole world right now.... our new normal.

I have managed to stop listening to the "worst-case always" news and social media as much -- now I just drop in a couple of times a day to catch any new details to stay on top of what I need to be aware of and informed about.   With that, I am practicing thinking about the big picture, what matters most and take stock of life's priorities.   I find myself wondering and worrying about a lot of people I know across the world.  I catch myself frequently saying little prayers on their behalf, not knowing what is really going on, but hoping they are healthy and not under undue stress.

Reflection is the act of purposeful learning. With practice, we can learn how to learn from experiences in our work and our lives. This requires us to be curious and inquisitive about our experiences and actions, as well as the feedback we receive from others.

Looking back allows us to identify and expand upon what really matters because we receive ideas on how to move forward in a way that better serves our greater purpose.

I read this today and loved it.  I thought if I shared it might help another with perspective.  Kitty O'Meara just wrote this a few days/weeks ago and she is already heralded as the poet laureate of the Pandemic:


"And the people stayed home. And read books, and listened, and rested, and exercised, and made art, and played games, and learned new ways of being, and were still. And listened more deeply. Some meditated, some prayed, some danced. Some met their shadows. And the people began to think differently. And the people healed. And, in the absence of people living in ignorant, dangerous, mindless, and heartless ways, the earth began to heal. And when the danger passed, and the people joined together again, they grieved their losses, and made new choices, and dreamed new images, and created new ways to live and heal the earth fully, as they had been healed."

Kitty O'Meara


Dear friends, the potential for healing as a people is tremendous in the challenges we now face! And so many beautiful opportunities as well.

I wish you so well.....

No comments: