Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Amazing Worlwide Fast for COVID 19

President Russel M. Nelson, the leader of my church invited all members of my faith last Sunday during General Conference to join in a worldwide fast so:

".....that the present pandemic may be controlled, caregivers protected, the economy strengthened, and life normalized.”   

The results have been absolutely amazing to me!  I had no idea the ripple effect this has had on the world and on my own heart.

We practice fasting on a regular basis in my church.  We fast every first Sunday for 24 hours and give the money we normally would spend to those who have less or none.  However, it is unusual for the entire worldwide church to fast together.  There have been a few occasions that I remember in my lifetime.  This was by far the most memorable given the situation.  What made this fast so incredibly different was that because of the blessing of technology, his invitation literally went out to the world.  a FB page was organized and about 600K people joined, creating an instant global community.  What was unexpected was how many people not of my faith joined and supported this fast.  All religions and even some who have no following.  The stories they have shared have been so inspiring to me and I was brought to tears many many times in reading the special experiences they shared. 

The most special stories were those of children who, although not expected to fast, did so on many accounts.  Young children who once they learned about the fast, asked their parents to join in.  There were some stories where some of the kids actually wanted to fast longer than their parents thought they should. 

One, in particular, tried to fast until 3:00pm on Friday.  When it came time they went out to the yard, kneeled down, and then asked God to help them have the strength to fast for one more hour.  This was not a singular story, I read of several of these types of stories.  This blew me away.  I remember when I started fasting at 8 years old how hard it was.  These little kids are on a different plane I think.  I read texts coming from my nieces and nephews sharing similar stories about how their little kids pleaded to be part of the fast. What is going inside these kids?  What is stirring their little souls?  What is beckoning them?  I think the answer is more a question of "Who" is beckoning them....  I believe it is Jesus.

"And a little child shall lead them."  (Isaiah 3:6)  

There is a wonderful talk about this from President Thomas S. Monson.

The point I think I would like to make is that once again, events like this pandemic, create windows of opportunity, experiences and challenges us that invite the best in us to come out.  Qualities and characteristics that might not otherwise be surfaced and shared that need to be.  

I loved being part of this worldwide effort.  I felt connected to the world in a way that I probably never have before.  The world became smaller, more conceivable that we are really together, bound by a common cause.  I loved being inspired by all--especially these children.  I feel like I understand better that my preparation and ability to traverse these types of life's challenges have a lot more to with my spiritual readiness than how much food, water, and fuel I can acquire.  

.....The parable of the ten virgins takes on new meaning....

Am I ready?

No comments: