Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

50 Words....Post lude

By request of an interested family member, I am adding to my previous post. Since very few people see this blog, I am very prone to fulfilling any request, especially since in this case it sheds more light on both my Grandfather and Father.

I am including my Dad's original 50 word assignment he did for his Father: Earl Marion Brown, who grew up as a pioneer rancher from Southern Arizona/Northern Mexico. Those who knew him will appreciate this snapshot of who he was from my Dad's point of view.

“He was tall in the saddle, but when he landed, he was short and, somehow, seemed more firmly planted than those around him. His gaze was steady and direct, and his natural good will was masked by what looked like a scowl to anyone who didn’t know him well.”


In addition, I am including two other sets of 50 word snapshots of my Dad. When I decided I was going to do this for my Dad's birthday I issued an invitation to others in my family to see if there were anyone else wanting to join me. Part of the allure for me was to see what others would write about my Dad so I could learn more about him, while at the same time, thinking that several 50 word descriptions would just make the gift for him even better! So, I thank my brother Roland and my Aunt Earlene Porter (Dad's youngest sister) for contributing to the cause and supplying 2 beautiful works of prose that I included in Dad's birthday gift. Enjoy:


He's affable and accepting;
Admirably astute, yet always unassuming.
While eloquently Erudite, his evenness sets all at ease.
Faithful and facade-free, he faces forward.
A wizard with words, he wields well-worn Wisdom
and Wry wit equally well.
In poetry and practice, the pure is pronounced,
The paltry, purged.
Earlene Porter – Mar ‘05



Disguised as a simple, globe-trotting Cowboy,
He is salt of God’s final sprinkling.
Cloaked in unassuming human-ness,
He maintains sweet savor
While thousands of improved lives,
Trail quietly behind.

E.Roland Brown – Nov ‘05

3 comments:

Necia said...

Thank you so much Aaron. Those were fantastic. Your Dad's 50 words about Grandpa summed up pretty well what I had thought all along. I really appreciate you fulfilling my request!

debsfreckles said...

Thank you Aaron for both of these posts. The one about Grandpa made me cry. You and your Dad both have a gift.

Rachel Ashmore said...

Wow... I love Roland's.