Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

"Hey Dad, I got some Art Supplies today!"



Girl 1
How many times have you bought little art supplies kits over the years for your kids?  Remember how cool they were to get as a kid....All those crayons and colored pencils all lined up next to each other. Paintbrushes and sometimes pastels (which were always funner to look at then actually use).  I remember how fast crayons and pencils would break or get lost.

So, this is what McKenna told me two days ago. She went out and bought some "art supplies". Sure, why not..... it's the first week of summer.....she is trying to rehab her torn ACL.  So, she has a bit of time to kill..

I was expecting maybe some bunnies, kittens or little puppies that she is always squealing about.  I find her new sketch book on the computer desk.....II can never resist....(which she knows)....and so I open it and there is "Girl 1".  I look and wonder "Really?  McKenna did this?"

Just then she walks in... I am like, "woah, this is really nice!"  She smiles and says "Thanks".  I ask, "When did you do this?"  "An hour or so ago" she says.  I look at her again and she gets this cool smile as if she has been waiting for months for me to walk into this conversation..... oh yeah, she knows she just did something very good.

Girl 2
Fast forward two hours.  I get home after doing some errands.  I stop by the book again to see how Girl 1 is shaping up....Instead I see Girl 2.  "What the...?" So I ask: "Where did this one come from??  She says casually:  "I wanted to do another one..."  I'm all:  Really.....?

I take my time and soak in the details.  The wispy hair strands, following the line of sight of her eyes makes me want to know what she is looking at.., the forward hunchedness of her shoulders....The overall expression is something like "reflective but aloof". Makes me wonder what she is thinking about.  It was fun to absorb this for a minute and then connected the dots to what some simple Art Supplies can actually do!

*Quick Rewind:   I remember how at school I had my school supplies box.  It consisted of a small bottle of paste and a bunch of popsicle sticks, glue, bad scissors, crayons etc....  it was fun to organize all the little parts into their proper space.  By the end of the first week it became a junk box.  They produced wonders such as a handprint turkey and gluing popsicle sticks together to make a beautiful but completely "disfunctional" fan.

McKenna,  I love your work.  This is week 1 of an entire Summer.  There are lots of blank pages left in your sketch pad.... Man I cannot wait to see what will end up being in there by August 30!

Here's a shout out for Art Supplies!
.

1 comment:

Connie Onnie said...

I have a art board on Pinterest do you or McKenna care if I pin her art?