Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

First Time in Heels....



Last Sunday I was coming down the stairs and McKenna (daughter) brushed by me on her way up....Something caught my eye and I looked back and she was wearing heels.....! The image stopped me in my tracks.... The words started out of my mouth without thinking...."hey, what do you think you are doing in those?" I said. She smiled and said "I am wearing Mom's heels". Obviously...but that wasn't what I was really asking.

Nevertheless, at the moment my mind was confused....ok, she was now 12 and all, but still....HEELS?? Not yet right? Isn't that more like 15 - 16?? Geez!

She proceeded to clunk up the stairs. I meandered down and kept getting ready for church, but the image wouldn't leave me and something was bothering me......

So what was I asking her? I think what I was really asking was "Hey, what do you think you are doing being all grown up enough to wear heels already." All of a sudden, here I was in one of those surreal moments, those "rites of passage" that we all go through. I didn't know there was one for "First time in Heels" but this experience definitely qualified as one. A few minutes later I walked back up and found her, I asked her to turnaround so I could see all of her in this "moment" she was having.... She was smilliing, also now wearing one of Mom's jackets too.... Wow, she looked beautiful. I finally swallowed hard and smiled back at her...I said to myself "Ok Aaron, it is going to be ok......I think". She wasn't very elegant in them, but it didn't matter....it felt right in the end. It was time for McKenna to pass through that special door in her life -- leaving her childhoold in one room, while embracing young womanhood in the the next -- excited to embrace the new experiences and opportunities that would shape the next phase of her life. Amazing what a small pair of shoes can do to transform a little girl -- She would never be the same again.....and neither would I.
"Spread your wings and fly"

No comments: