Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Unplanned Lane Changes....


I asked a group of people today during a training session… “what happens when you have alignment problems with your car?” After the usual suspect responses surfaced, this one floated above the others…”You get unplanned lane changes” I laughed out loud while thinking "What an excellent response". My mind wouldn't let the metaphor leave all day long … There was something more there, I just needed to sift through it a bit to find out what it was….. It has something to do with “Change” Sometimes we intentionally cause change in our lives….. other times change seems to happen “to” us. It is the latter that I think applies here. Those unforeseen, gotcha’s…
One simple lane change can mean a world of difference. Robert Frost coined the phrase "The Road Not Taken" in his unforgettable poem...whether by choice or not, one can get a different view, a different perspective, a different experience as a result of a lane change. I think that is the trick…. Not wondering how you got there or always why…but rather focusing forward, in on the new view… what do I see and what can I learn? Often it is the attitude with which we frame our "lane" and that is what I think the poet meant when he said "I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference..."

No comments: