Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Famous Last Words....

This past Saturday I attended the funeral of my uncle Bill. He was a couple of years younger than my Dad, but always seemed more of a big brother to him. Without going into details, he was an incredible man. His life full of service to church, family and community. Those who gave him tribute spoke of a man that quietly and persistently "endured to the end" and left a large wake of touched lives. I felt so inpsired listening to all that was said of him and found myself unconsciously reflecting upon my own life and then jumping forward in my minds eye to my own funeral...."what would be said of Aaron Brown?"

What would I really want to be said of me? Many things came to my mind in a flash, but they all fell short. I realized that many would probably say things like "he was fun", "always smiled", "easy to get a long with" etc..... As I listened to myself vette these out, I realized it wasn't enough. I wanted to hear stories where I did things for others that went "unnoticed" and anonymous, like I was hearing about Uncle Bill....I wanted to hear stories from my kids that said "I watched my Dad help others and led by quiet example" or "My Dad often gave more than he really had the means to give". I didn't want to hear about "things" but rather a lot about "people".

I was very grateful for a few quiet introspective moments that helped me sift all these thoughts and recalibrate my heart and priorities. I realized it was time to shift into a gear higher than every day mediocrity and stretch myself to do more, but quietly. To love for charity sake, not because of duty or because someone would notice. I left rejuvenated and realized I understood that funerals can provide a wonderful opportunity to evaluate oneself--to take stock, check and measure where one stands. Not compare....but rather, take the best of those who have passed on and strive to apply it to our own lives to be better. Thank you Uncle Bill for a consecrated life of enduring example. I won't get up at 4am and milk cows like you did, but I can certainly do better in my own modern realm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Aaroneous, for sharing these thoughts, but even more, for having them. That's what will lead you to become all that you want to become. And don't worry about what will be said of you at your funeral. You will be surprised. It will be better than what you might have written yourself.
Abrazos,
Dad