Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

Thanks Mom, for Dance...


I recently attended a high school reunion in D.C. and couldn't wait for the pinnacle activity of the event: "The Dance". It was incredibly fun and most of us didn't want it to end. I love dancing and can't remember when I didn't. I am not sure why, but I find it interesting.... What is it about dancing that makes me feel what I feel? If I were an alien sneaking a peek at our world and saw a bunch of people moving and contorting to loud noise I would probably re-think any invasion strategies. I have often wondered why certain songs can actually make my body move impusively and unconsciously often resulting in a sense of excitement, exhiliration and sheer joy. It is a wondrous thing I think, which I owe to my mother.

She was a professional dancer. She taught her 6 kids all styles and techniques: ballet, tap, charleston, swing, fox trot, square dancing and yes, even synchronized swimming.... She instilled in us a love for all styles and often she would look for any excuse to get up and dance, even if in a restaurant. I loved her uninhibited way of expressing herself through dance and I would like to think I have been "imprinted" by her. It was the creative process she loved and then to see her joy in watching her students perform was something to behold.

Some music is great as background to conversation, or just to "chill" to, but some music is designed to specifically be expressed on the dance floor preferrably with one's best friends. That is what I experienced last week. "Freak Out" says Le Chic...well, they definitely got that right!!

Dancing with my good friends from EAB High School (Brazil) is more than casual dancing...it is an extension of our friendship and ultimately a group celebration of life itself. Thank heaven for music and dance....it makes the dance of life so much more sweet! ......and thank you Mom for the music you made in my life...I miss you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Aaron, you get better and better...! What a wonderful tribute to all moms who love to dance!