Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Heaven: Arriving or Becoming?

They were teaching: "Justification vs Sanctification" a few Sunday's ago in church.   Kinda big bible-like words which I have heard many times throughout my life...  One of those deals that when you hear someone smart explain it once, you are all like "Oh yeah! I got it... I can explain that no problemo next time"   Then the next time you hear it you are like "Uh... what does that mean again?"  And the cycle repeats.  This time it was different.... at the end of all the talking, some smart person finally dumbed it down for me and it came out like this: 

"Arriving" vs "Becoming"   

Ah... that was different... That sat with me a whole lot better!  Much easier to wrap my head around and grind upon what that could mean.....

How many of us are just hoping to "get there".. meaning heaven, or whatever life's ending destination might be defined as...  There is Nirvana, Valhalla, Moksha, Svarga Loka, Heaven, or yes.... even the Grey Havens.   It seems most religions talk, profess and create an interest in returning, finding, attaining or arriving at some almost geographic-esque place.  Some of these aren't just physical locals,  but at times resemble spiritual or meta-physical places.....at the end of the day......most seem to be destinations generally speaking.It was suggested that maybe we should be focusing on "becoming" vs. "arriving".....

Arriving suggests that one might be "done".  Like, stop working so hard, you have finished...The final task completed, while "becoming" infers.....not quite yet....in fact, it really speaks to complete opposite....that of -- never ending or forever progressing.

Watching the Olympics these past few weeks was an amazing experience.  My heart soared so many times!  I tried to watch everything I could.  I am drawn to the games every 2 years. There is something about world class athletes that can break world records and be at the top of their respective "game" and yet, still want to achieve....more.  They aren't satisfied. They keep fine tuning their "machine."  They never stop.... they never "arrive."  They continue the journey of "becoming."  Do we do that? Or do we become comfortable with a "good day's work?"..... procrastinating our potential of today for that of tomorrow.....maybe, if we feel like it.  What is it that would push us to new heights each day? What would the motivation be?  


What I love about all religions that I know of...limited for sure....is that there is always a sense of progression, enlightenment, or transformation into something kinder, wiser, better.... that pushes man to new heights.  Maybe the God I believe in, is my wise coach, seeing in me what I can't... whispering inspiring thoughts through spiritual means to help me be my best, and maybe your version of God is doing the same to you.

I think I am 'becoming'..... a bit more each day.  Often I can't tell if I have digressed, certainly feels that way at times.  But overall, I look back once in awhile and at least I am still on the track, running for that elusive sub 4 minute mile.  As long as I am in the pack, with my eyes set on the prize, I will continue to run.  I don't have to beat Usain Bolt's time, I just need to beat my last best time.  Paul I think understood well:
"For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."           2 Timothy 7

Here is to me finishing my race well... and to you and yours....

No comments: