Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

"You" by Schiller feat. Colbie Caillat





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6nrPbQxIpU - hope you enjoy



I have followed Schiller for a while mostly for his ambient pop dance tunes....But came across this one late last night and it kind of captivated me in a more soulful way. (He does some great collaboration with many artists including Lisa Gerrard and others......)

Although the overall beat makes me tap to the rythm, I like the lyrics, they remind me of two things:



1. Unrequited love.....which is always interesting to me. Alot of my friends are dealing with this right now.....I guess people always will.



2. From a different perspective, it is also reminds me how I have often felt about being a TCK (Third Culture Kid) -- feeling alienated at times in my own country. The process of "repatriation" was the most difficult in my life. The one place I always thought would be "Home" .....at last, after all the years of being overseas turned out to be the most "foreign" of them all...especially Utah, home of my faith and family. So, I replace the word "YOU" in this song with any place I lived that I still long for. Mostly this would be Brazil. So, I still long for Brazil, my friends, the music, the culture, my incredible experiences there with other TCKids and friends at church and school. I have moved a few places in the US thinking that would be a way to "scratch that itch" and that has helped. But feeling completely at "home" is still elusive.......for the most part I am reconciled to the reality that I have made choices that will most likely keep me here in Utah for a long time. I am pretty ok with all that comes with those decisions.....But still down deep, from time to time, I take out a bottle of "saudade" (nostalgia) and open it up and wallow in the heady aroma of my unique past and am grateful that I still have longings...and this song captures that for me.





YOU
Turn down the silence, Inside my head Bring back the colors Were you insane?
Further from where I´ve started
Further to go Keeping my heart under control
Why do I still feel you? Feel you.... And though you´ve gone I still feel you, feel you All I need is you......All I need is to feel you, feel you
Why did you change your mind and run away? Thoughts of you by my side are starting to fade I know that you should be mine, So I wont let you go Everyday I´m trying to get close
Why do I still feel you? Feel you ......And though you've gone I still feel you, feel you.
All I need is you All I need is to feel you, feel you
Stop running all the time don´t fight the feeling inside Cause when you try to hide don´t matter where you go it´s deep in your soul

1 comment:

Rachel Ashmore said...

I really enjoyed this post...for several reasons. I've been a fan of Colbie Caillat, and so it was fun to see her doing something a little different from her usual stye. Secondly, I like this song a lot. It has a great vibe and feel attached to it. You know, if I had heard that song somewhere else, it probably would have made me think of you. It has a real relaxed, new-age sound similar to the tunes you've been jamming to while driving us around in your white mini van. =) And also, I liked what you said in #2 about where home is for you. Not only was it really well put, but I've heard my mom talk about The States in the same way...feeling like an outsider in her own country, especially when she first moved back to go to Ricks. She's also talked about her struggle with not feeling at home anywhere when she was young, because of growing up overseas but having experiences where the Lord quietly assured (and reminded) her that she did indeed have a home. Your lives have afforded you guys with such rich opportunity and experience...yet such unique struggles as well. Anyway...just sharing my thoughts...