Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

The Vatican

I was at the Vatican today, it was beautiful.  It felt reverent, and like a place to be inspired, lifted and spiritually awakened.

If you are going position your church correctly this isn't a bad template to follow.  Pretty brilliant in fact.  I couldn't believe that there were so few people there.  It added to the reverence I felt.  It seemed like a holy place.  The majesty of St. Peter Basilica and the magnificence of the Sistine chapel was truly awe inspiring.

It was special to experience this as an observer.  To be able to have my own eyes opened to the idea of the Vatican - to serve as a gathering place, a place that invites all to come and be unified in a particular faith.  The works of art in the Vatican museum were some of the best I have ever seen.  Totally comparable to the Louvre, the Met and the Rijks museums.  There is no comparison to the Sistine chapel.  The pinnacle of new testament story telling and interpretation from the greatest of the greats.  Michelangelo, Botticelli, Roselli, Perugino and others.  They were inspired by God I feel to represent what they did.


To be able to see Michelangelo's Pieta here was amazing.  To know that he was basically the art director for the Vatican was something I didn't know.  He structured the arrangement of the Vatican.  Everything he touched was special.

I understood much better how this could draw followers of the faith.  While is isn't mine, I completely could see why people would come the world over to spend time here.  To be spiritually fed and uplifted.  My sense is that Mecca and Medina would be very similar.  

I left with a deeper appreciation for those that believe in God, that live by faith and not just reason and science.  That there are people with vision and endless eternal hope that we can be worthy servants of God and Christ.  That they inspire the most beautiful things men and women can create.  I loved the spiritual lift I left with. 


No comments: