I don’t think I will ever stop thinking—or writing—about friendship.
It has been an essential thread in the fabric of my life. There is nothing quite like the feeling when we get friendship right…and nothing quite like the pain when we get it wrong.
No matter which side we are on.
The hurt deliverer.
The hurt receiver.
Is it possible to be both at the same time?
I think it is.
Maybe that is one of the hardest truths about friendship. We can genuinely love another person and still wound them. We can feel injured by something they did while remaining painfully aware that we have also contributed to the distance between us.
Neither person feels completely innocent.
Neither person feels completely understood.
That is not the kind of “hurts good” I have written about before. There is nothing especially noble or beautiful about watching a meaningful friendship slip quietly toward the edge.
Sometimes a friendship changes without either person announcing that it has changed.
A message goes unanswered.
An invitation does not come.
Something once said easily becomes difficult to say.
One person grows quieter. The other notices but does not ask why. Both wait for the other to cross the distance…and eventually the distance itself becomes the message.
How does that happen?
Why do we push away people we genuinely love?
Maybe we do it because friendship feels like an investment, and meaningful investment always carries risk. We fear putting more into the relationship than we will receive. We worry that we care more deeply than the other person does. We hesitate to show how much the friendship matters because doing so gives another person the power to hurt us.
So we protect ourselves.
We step back before they can.
We create the very distance we are afraid they might create.
Sometimes we push people away because we do not know what we want—or even who we are becoming.
We convince ourselves that we should have everything figured out. We want our decisions to make sense. We want our lives to follow logical timelines and reach responsible benchmarks. We want our families to believe we are doing well and our friends to think we know where we are going.
But we do not always know.
We lose our sense of direction. We become uncertain about which path to take, and we assume no one else could possibly understand the confusion inside us.
Figuring life out can be lonely…but it does not always have to be.
Isn’t that partly what friends are for?
Friends may not be able to choose the road for us, but perhaps they can walk beside us while we search for it. They can remind us that uncertainty does not make us unworthy of companionship.
And yet fear has a strange way of convincing us that no one will ever understand.
So we create our own belief windows about why other people do what they do. We assign motives that were never voiced. We take silence and give it meaning. We interpret hesitation as rejection and distance as proof that the friendship was never as real as we thought.
But we do not see motives.
We see only their shadows reflected through behavior.
Behaviors do send messages, of course. Active ones do…and apparently passive ones do too. Silence affects people. Absence communicates something, even when it was never intended to communicate anything at all.
But the message received is not always the message sent.
Sometimes we push friends away because we quietly believe that we do not deserve them.
We wonder whether they need something we cannot provide. We compare what they offer with what we believe we bring and conclude that the exchange is uneven.
They are too good.
Too patient.
Too accomplished.
Too full of life.
Why would someone like that continue to choose someone like me?
We begin to wonder whether our presence makes their life better or heavier. We ask whether they would be happier, freer, or more complete without the burden of trying to understand us.
Instead of allowing them to answer, we answer for them.
We retreat.
Maybe we tell ourselves it is an act of generosity. Maybe we think we are releasing them from something difficult.
But perhaps we are simply afraid that if they examine us too closely, they will eventually reach the same conclusion we have already reached about ourselves.
So we leave first…even when neither person really wants to go.
Sometimes the pushing becomes a test.
Will they come after me?
Will they notice I am gone?
Will they fight for the friendship?
Is their affection real—or was it fake all along?
But what if the real test is not whether they follow us?
What if the real test is whether the push itself was real?
Do we truly want them to leave…or are we hoping they will somehow hear the unspoken request underneath our behavior?
Please understand me.
Please reassure me.
Please don’t give up on me.
That is a dangerous way to communicate love.
Perhaps instead of testing whether someone will leave, we could simply allow them to stay. We could speak more honestly about our fears. We could meet one another where we actually are—not where we think the other person should be and not only under conditions designed to make us feel safe.
There is also an important difference between pushing someone away as a test and establishing a necessary boundary.
Love does not require us to accept cruelty, manipulation, abuse, or continual disregard. A boundary can protect what is good in us without requiring hatred toward the person on the other side of it.
Maybe a boundary says:
I cannot continue in this pattern.
I cannot pretend this does not hurt.
I cannot give you the same access to my life while this remains unchanged.
But it does not have to say:
You never mattered.
I hope you suffer.
Nothing between us was real.
That distinction matters.
I think about the way Christ loved.
His love was unconditional, but it was never without truth. He extended mercy without pretending that choices did not matter. He invited repentance. He honored agency. He corrected people, withdrew at times, and allowed some to walk away.
But He never began with:
“If they do this, then I will love them.”
Love simply flowed from Him.
Even while being crucified, He asked the Father to forgive those who tortured Him because “they know not what they do.”
What kind of mercy is that?
Can we do that?
You and I are not Christ. We find ourselves painfully bereft at times of the grace required to love one another that way.
With our collective insecurities, doubts, fears, and idiosyncrasies, we blunder through relationships—hoping we get more right than wrong while knowing that none of us is batting anywhere close to perfection.
Perhaps Christlike love does not require us to remove every boundary.
Perhaps it asks us to keep hatred from becoming one of them.
I pray that I will be as merciful as I can and extend as much grace as possible to people who are special to me—even when they disappoint or hurt me, intentionally or otherwise.
I also pray that others might extend that grace to me.
I will not survive without it.
I have wronged people in my life, and despite my best intentions, I will probably do so again. I have misunderstood motives, allowed fear to direct my behavior, remained quiet when I should have spoken, and spoken when silence might have been kinder.
I hope I can forgive myself for those moments.
I hope the people I have hurt can forgive me too.
But I am learning that repentance, forgiveness, reconciliation, and restored trust are not the same thing.
Repentance is the work I must do.
Forgiveness belongs to the person who was injured and cannot be demanded on my timetable.
Reconciliation requires both people.
Trust may return slowly…or perhaps not at all.
Some hurts may be beyond our ability to repair. The person we wounded may never allow us the same place in their life again. We do not get to insist that our sorrow should erase their pain.
But even when reconciliation is no longer possible, repentance still is.
We can tell the truth.
We can accept the consequences.
We can offer whatever repair remains possible.
We can become safer, kinder, and more honest.
We can refuse to make the same wound in someone else.
Maybe that is how grace continues its work when a friendship cannot continue in the way we once hoped.
I do not want anyone I have loved to carry an unnecessary burden because of me. But I also understand that I do not get to decide what another person should be ready to release.
All I can do is acknowledge the heart that was placed, however briefly, within my reach—and try to become someone who handles it more carefully.
Perhaps that is friendship’s hardest lesson:
Love does not make us incapable of hurting one another.
It gives us a reason to return with humility when we do.

No comments:
Post a Comment